As technologies evolve each year, trying to figure out what the best radar detector is can be a bit challenging. Our buyer’s guide will put you on the fast track to making an informed decision as to which one is right for you. A radar detector is a great investment, it will allow you to relax while you drive, as well as potentially save you hundreds of dollars in fines and insurance premium hikes, and ensure you avoid those hidden speed traps! Now that you realize the importance of using a radar detector, you will want to make sure you decide upon a top-rated radar detector with all the essential features. To give you more options to choose from, we will be discussing the best radar detector 2018 list that we compiled. Before we dive in, let’s start with the basics, and go over the 5 most popular radar detector brands.
What Radar Detector Brands Are The Most Popular?
There are many brands out there that claim to have designed the best radar detector, but we decided not to take their word for it. A more reliable source would be actual consumers who have tried the products themselves. In our detailed research, sorting through many brands and consumer reviews, we pinpointed the most popular radar detector 2018 brands. Our team agrees with what we were seeing out there. Here is what we found to be the best radar detector brands of the year:
- Escort: Winner of many prestigious radar detector awards, this high-rated brand has been designing and engineering high-quality detectors for over 35 years. Their detectors are designed with patented technology that gives them an extremely fast and far-reaching detection, above and beyond its competitors.
- Uniden: This is another stellar brand that has been in the market for many years earning a great reputation.
- Beltronics: A division of Escort, Beltronics has dedicated its time and research to protect you on the road. This brand offers high-performance radar detectors that sport cutting-edge technology.
These three popular radar detector brands ranked high in quality products and consumer satisfaction. Although they are all on the forefront of leading-edge technology, each brand possesses their own unique qualities in regards to how their radar detectors are designed. We will be going over 5 of the best radar detectors 2018 from each of the three brands, giving you an opportunity to determine which may be right for your needs.
Best Radar Detector 2018 – Top 5 Reviews
1. Uniden R3 Extreme Long Range Radar Laser Detector GPS, 360 Degree, DSP, Voice Alert ( Read Customer Reviews on Amazon.com)
A hot contender for the best radar detector 2018 spot, the Uniden R3 is indeed a well-thought-out unit. It boasts a host of innovative features, enough to compete with high-end units. And, the beauty of it is that it comes at a cost that won’t burn through your wallet. What follows is an in-depth look at this detector and why it shines when pitted against other models in its class.
Why the Uniden R3 Stand Above the Rest
The R3 has an outstanding range – one of the longest of any detector. With more than twelve times ability to pick out police radar/ laser gun signals, its performance exceeds all other detectors on the market. In fact, it is the most sensitive radar detector you can get if the reviews it has to its name are anything to go by. More specifically, the Uniden R3 offers an industry-leading K and Ka-band filtering miles away.
And then there’s the mute function that allows you to silence your detector when driving in populated areas at low speeds. All you need to do is to double press the mute button in case of a false alert. You can count on integrated the GPS chip to pick out speed cameras and red lights and by extension keep you in the good books with highway patrol officers.
Other than that, the R3 is Spectre Elite undetectable. Yes, police will never know that you have a radar detector installed in your car! Plus, it doesn’t take a lot to customize it to your driving needs. Just press the menu button and choose from various settings including, the level of brightness, filtering, and sensitivity.
A glance at radar detector reviews is all you need to know what to expect with a particular model. Motorists who’ve used the Uniden R3 applaud its 360-degree capability to detect signals in all directions. Meanwhile, the advanced digital signal processing (DSP) will recognize and prioritize radar bands to reduce false alarms. And to top it off, this unit comes with an assortment of accessories including two windshield mounts, a carrying case, power cable, and an instruction manual. That way, you can start to use it right off the box!
2. Escort Passport 9500IX Radar Detector ( Our Rating: 4.8/5)
Although not as fully loaded as the Max 360°, this detector has also become best radar detector worthy. It features AutoLearn technology so that it is able to reject false alerts with accuracy, and is compatible with Escort Live so that you can receive real-time alert updates from other users! It was built with the capability to rapidly detect sources, as well as alert you far in advance.
Escort is always determined to push the limits, and they did with the Passport 9500IX Radar Detector. It was designed to work with their proprietary Traffic Sensor Rejection software, an innovative solution that eliminates false alerts against roadside mounted sensors that are normally used to monitor traffic flow, but can repeatedly set off an alert. In addition to this, as with the Max 360°, the 9500IX also includes the Defender® Database program which pre-loads your radar detector with speed traps and red light camera locations. This radar detector comes complete with variable speed sensitivity functions. This is made possible with their patented GPS technology, which ensures you are using the proper range at all times. Highway speeds require a different sensitivity than slower city driving speeds. The sensitivity can be adjusted to meet your driving needs to avoid unnecessary alerts. It utilizes a SiRFstar IV GPS receiver for the most reliable detection, and well as incorporating Digital Signal Processing. The Escort 9500IX comes web ready so you can easily download all their detector tools, as well back up your data.
Along with the other top 5 detectors, the Escort 9500IX Radar Detector has been a crowd favorite for some time now and quickly became one of the best radar detectors shortly after its release. With its dependable features and top-of-the-line technology, you can feel confident driving with it by your side.
3. Escort Max 360° Radar Detector ( Our Rating: 4.9/5)
Escort really outdid itself when it designed the Max 360°, they seem to have covered all the concerns that were out there with most radar detectors, along with perfecting their previous model, and ended up creating one of the best radar detectors out there for 2018.
What makes this radar detector stand out from the rest? Let’s take a look. For starters, it features dual antennas along with front, side to side, and rear indication directional alert arrows, so they have got you covered from all sides, hence the name, 360°. This feature conveniently shows you where the source is originating from. Plus, this radar detector is equipped with full band coverage, along with an extreme range of coverage, and a fast response time due to its patented true Digital Signal Processing. In addition to this, it boasts its patented AutoLearn technology that is GPS-powered and detects exact frequencies so it is able to reject false alerts with accuracy.
The Escort Max 360° is a favorite amount most because of its built-in Bluetooth® technology making it compatible with Escort’s award winning app, Escort Live. This advanced feature has to do with their exclusive real-time network in which you are warned of alerts that are logged in by other users in your area. Very helpful! Furthermore, Escort’s Defender® Database program pre-loads your radar detector with speed traps and red light camera locations. Never get caught off guard again! And the finishing touches of this best-rated radar detector are its dual language, crystal clear voice communication menu options that allow you to keep your hands on the wheel at all times, along with its customizable high-resolution multi-color graphics display. Plus, it comes with a high-quality travel case, mount, and premium SmartCord.
So as you can see, the Escort Max 360° is the best radar detector on the market for good reason. It’s packed with impressive state-of–the-art features, and will most certainly ensure you will avoid any costly tickets, as well as give you a piece of mind while driving.
4. Beltronics GT-7 Radar Detector (Our Rating: 4.7/5)
The GT-7, another top contender, is certainly considered one of the best radar detectors for its reliable detection features which clearly shows Beltronics had the consumer in mind when designing the GT-7.
This high-quality radar detector has full coverage from all radar bands and lasers, and also features 360° protection, a must have if you are on the road often. It has an excellent range due to its Digital Signal Processing, so rest assured you will be notified well in advance. In addition to this, The GT-7 is capable of digitally separating real signals from false alerts, so you will not have to wonder if each alert is a real threat or not. It is fully equipped to alert you of upcoming highway patrol or red-light cameras, potentially saving you hundreds of dollars in avoided tickets. The GT-7 offers several different driving modes; Highway, Auto, and Auto No X, so no matter where you are driving, you will be protected.
This radar detector also contains an advanced digital display that will let you know the type and strength of the signals, and convenient vocal alarms are available so that you will not have to take your eyes off the road in times when you need to focus. This excellent radar detector comes complete with a SmartCord, a StickyCup Mount, as well as a quality travel case. Everything you need for a great experience.
As far as best radar detectors go, the Beltronics GT-7 Radar Detector is top-quality and recommended by many. It will let you focus on driving so you can enjoy the ride and your company.
5. Escort RedLine 0100025-1 Radar Detector ( Our Rating: 4.7/5)
This particular radar detector is a must have for those who drive a little bit on the fast side. It includes all the features you would need to avoid being pulled over. The RedLine is equipped with a sensitive long-range detector to give you reliable protection. It provides Full X, K, and SuperWide Ka detection, as well as an AutoMode feature that will significantly reduce false alarms.
The Escort RedLine 0100025-1 has twin antennas that are specifically tuned for each radar band, enabling it to provide the longest warning on all radar bands, this also includes the new “POP” mode. This detector is not called one of the best radar detectors for nothing; it includes innovative exclusive TotalShield Technology which actually makes the RedLine completely invisible to radar devices. In addition to this, its Threat Ranking System was put in place to reject K-band signals that are typically used to monitor the flow of traffic. The Escort RedLine 0100025-1 was designed with a patented Mute and AutoMute system that initiates a reduction in volume after the first alert, avoiding multiple alerts regarding the same source detection.
The RedLine has an ultra-bright 280-LED alphanumeric display, as well as three display modes; bar graph, ExpertMeter, and Spec Display, and clear voice alerts are available when you are not able to look away. Furthermore, this radar detector comes with a handy owner’s manual and quick reference chart, windshield mount that includes suction cups, a SmartCord, and a convenient travel case.
Escort RedLine 0100025-1 has made it to the best radar detector on the market 2018 list because of its high-performance ratings and quality features. This radar detector is a great choice if you are looking to invest in a well-made radar detector.
Radar Detectors Buyer’s Guide
Searching for the best radar detector for your needs can be a little challenging if you don’t know what to look for. We put together a list of important features to help you make an informed decision.
Some Important Features to look for:
• Type of Detector: You basically have a choice of three different types of radar detectors, these would consist of corded, cordless, and remote-mount. A corded detector would be mounted on a windshield using provided suction cups, and this type seems to give the best overall detection. The second type is the cordless detector. This is perfect if you switch between cars since you can easily remove it from your vehicle. On the other end of the spectrum is the remote-mount detector. This type is permanently mounted within your vehicle.
• City Mode: To ensure you get fewer false alerts while driving in the vicinity of any city, it’s important to have a radar detector that can function properly in city mode to avoid alerts from sources of signals similar to radar guns. This is an essential feature since most of us drive within the city limits.
• “Instant-On” Protection: If an Instant-On radar beam has been aimed at you before your radar detector has time to pick up on it, there is nothing you can do at that point. But with Instant-On Protection, your radar detector alerts you when radar has been aimed at the car in front of you, giving you some time to slow down.
• 360° Laser Detection: It’s a good idea to have laser detection with a coverage area of 360°. This will enable coverage in the front, back, and both sides of your vehicle. A radar detector with a 360° laser detection is more reliable and worth the extra cost.
• Multiple-Threat Counter: This handy feature displays the number as well as the signal strength; this will keep you informed if there are multiple radar guns being used in the same area. It will make sure you don’t let your guard down too soon.
• VG-2 and Spectre Protection: If you live in an area that does not allow radar detectors, these features are a must have. They are referred to what is known as shielding technologies; they alert you when police are using radar detectors. Some detectors even warn you and then shut themselves down automatically.
• Quality Text Displays: This could be a matter of preference, depending on what your specific needs are. Text displays vary in color, with red and green being the most common colors. The displays also vary in size. If you don’t have the best of vision, make sure to check if the display is large enough for you to view while driving.
• Digital Voice Alerts: As far as safe driving is concerned, this feature is top-rated. It allows you to be alerted without taking your eyes off the road.
• GPS Technology: Having a GPS equipped radar detector can make a big difference. GPS devices communicate with satellites while your car is moving. They measure your speed, as well as your location. Most GPS detectors have the ability to adjust their sensitivity to how fast you are moving, this can be a great help when you are moving between city and highway modes.
• Specific Detection: A radar detector that has a wide range of detection is important. You will want to obtain one that is capable of detecting X-band, K-band, Ka photo cop, Ka wide-band, as well as Ka super wide-band.
With so many factors to consider when looking for a radar detector that is best for your needs, it’s essential to do as much research as you can to make an informed decision. Buying the very best radar detector is an important investment, not only will it save you money, and keep your insurance premiums at bay, it will let you drive without the stress of having to keep an eye out for speed traps and random laser beams pointing in your direction. Essentially, choosing the best radar detector will enable you to drive without distraction. We hope this guide provided some helpful tips and some insight into the best radar detector of 2018.